Reactivation allows you to restart a previously canceled subscription. Reactivating a subscription will have the following effects:
- The subscription balance will be reset to $0
- The subscription will be immediately activated
- The customer will be charged the normal price for a single period
- The customer’s billing date will be reset to today
To reactivate a subscription, navigate to the Subscription and use the “Reactivate” link in the Operations menu.
You will see a confirmation screen that outlines what will occur on reactivation. Click ‘Reactivate Subscription’ to initiate the reactivation.
There are two ways to update the credit card before reactivation. You may need to do this if the subscription was originally canceled due to failed transactions on the original card.
From the reactivation confirmation screen, there are two links in the “Credit Card” section:
- Update Payment Profile: allows the Merchant to manually update the card
- Send Update Profile request email to Customer: sends an email to the Customer requesting card update, including a link to a page to perform the update. Once the card is updated, you will still need to initiate the reactivation. Canceled subscriptions do not become active again just because the attached card is updated.
When a subscription is in the canceled state, you may add a coupon so that upon reactivation, the subscription will be discounted. This is a great tactic to use to bring subscribers back on board after cancelling.
In the example below, we are applying the coupon
10 PERCENT OFF COUPON for a discount of 10% off their subscription prior to reactivation. The Gold Product has a recurring cost of $50.00 per month, with a resulting cost of $45/month after discount.
After the coupon is applied to the subscription, select Actions –> Reactivate Subscription and you will receive a preview of the costs and actions to be applied to the subscription.
Select Reactivate Subscription to proceed.
To reactivate a subscription without charging the subscriber immediately, you can add a credit by decreasing balance of a subscription. If there is a negative balance on the subscription, this credit will be applied to the subscription when the reactivation step is performed. For complete information on adjusting a balance, please see our documentation here.
In order for the subscriber to be charged $0.00, the amount of the balance adjustment must be equal to or greater than the cost of the product. If the amount of the balance adjustment is less than the cost of the product, the subscriber will immediately be charged the difference upon reactivation.
Please take note, that as you reactivate the subscription, you must select the checkbox next to “Do not reset the existing balance.” Doing so will preserve the balance adjustment, thus not charging the card on file during reactivation.
When you elect to reactivate a subscription, you’ll receive a preview of the charges to be assessed during reactivation. Ensure that the amount is $0.00 if your goal is to reactivate a subscription without assessing charges to the card on file.
Once these steps are complete, the card on file will be charged at the next date of renewal.
One a Subscription has reached the Trial Ended status, you can reactivate the subscription easily by choosing Reactivate from the Actions menu.
You may choose the default option of activating a Subscriber on the same product without including the trial. If you do not include the trial, the following will occur:
- This existing balance will be cleared.
- This subscription will be immediately activated.
- The customer will be charged the cost of the full product’s recurring period cost
- The customer’s billing date will be reset to today.
You may also select the checkbox to include the trial. If you do include the trial, the following will occur:
- This existing balance will be cleared.
- This subscription will begin the trial immediately.
There are 2 reasons why a reactivation of a Subscription will fail within Chargify.
- Failure due to the card on file declining the charges
- Failure due to no card on file for the Subscription
In the event that reactivation fails, you may wish to instantly reach out to your subscriber to have them update their card on file. This can be done instantly by selecting Email Customer to Request Payment Update under Payment Details.