In order to set up the referrals feature, you’ll need to define the following:
- The discount for the referring customer
- The discount for the new customer that’s been referred
- Select ‘Edit’ to configure your Referral Settings.
- Define the ‘One-Time Credit for the Referring Customer’. This is the discount that will be given to the subscription whose referral code was used.
- Choose whether to ‘Delay Credit?‘ until the New Customer’s subscription is active and has been paid for, or whether to give the credit immediately upon signup.
- Define the ‘Coupon Discount for the New Customer’. This is the discount that anyone signing up with a referral code will receive. The discount works exactly like our existing coupon functionality.
- Once your settings are saved, click the ‘Enable Referrals’ button on Setup > Referrals.
Once referrals have been enabled, a unique referral code will be created for every subscription. You can obtain the referral code by visiting the subscription summary page for the subscription, or by fetching the subscription from the API.
Referral codes can also be inserted into the emails that Chargify sends to your customers by using the
For example, in the Signup Email, you might want to provide a signup link that your new customer can give out to their friends. You can do this by appending
?ref= and the referral code to the URL of any one of your Public Signup Pages:
Alternately, you may want to append the referral code to a URL on your own site, and then pass it back to Chargify after the customer selects which product they would like to subscribe to.
- A user navigates to a Public Signup Page with a referral code in the URL. For example:
https://general-goods.chargify.com/subscribe/hbwtd98j3hk2/basic?ref=24fbsz. The customer is shown a preview of the referral discount that will be applied to their subscription.
Note: Either a referral code or a coupon code may be used. If valid codes for both are supplied, the referral discount will be applied and the coupon will be ignored.
- The new customer completes their signup and the referral discount is applied.
- A one-time discount is applied to the referring subscription
- The referral appears in the Referral History in the application
- For a given public page, enable “Display referrals”:
- A user navigates to a Public Signup Page. For example:
http://acme.chargify.com/subscribe/5p3wn7w7/basic. The customer can enter their referral code and validate it, while seeing preview of the referral discount that will be applied to their subscription.
- The new customer completes their signup and the referral discount is applied; from this point on the behavior is the same as Referral Signup Flow via URL Parameter.
Please note that the Referring Subscription must be in the Active status in order for the referral discount to be applied to the New Customer at signup.
Please note that the Referring Subscription must be in the Active status in order to receive the referral credit, whether at signup, or later, if the credit is delayed.
In addition, an invalid referral code, either in the ref parameter, or entered into the “Referral code” textbox, will fail validation, and the subscription will not be created.