Public Pages (formerly known as Hosted Pages) are highly customizable white label pages that you can use as the public-facing side of your subscription business. They are a quick and easy way to integrate with the Chargify platform without having to worry about collecting credit card information or writing custom code yourself.
There are two types of Public Pages available to merchants in all Chargify plans:
- A Public Signup Page is automatically created for each new product and allows people to sign up for any of your current active products.
- A Self-Service Page is automatically created for each active subscription and allows the customer to manage payment methods. If you need information on configuring the look, feel, and behavior of your Public Page, please see Public Page Default Settings.
Note: Accessing any Public Page will log you out of your Chargify account. This is necessary for security reasons. If you would like to test your Public Pages without being logged out, please copy the links and open them in another browser or in a private browser window.
Each Product can have multiple Public Signup Pages, each with its own unique URL. To get started on using Public Signup Pages, click the “Setup” tab and then the “Public Signup Pages” menu item right under it. You can get the URL for a specific Public Signup Page attached to a Chargify Product by viewing the list of Public Signup Pages located in that same page.
If you need information on how to create your first Public Signup Page or how to customize your Public Signup Pages, please see Public Signup Page Settings.
Note: To use Public Signup Pages with the Bambora gateway, you must enable billing address collection from within the Public Signup Page Settings.
When creating a Public Signup Page, you can choose between two different layouts: Modern (v2), or Classic (v1).
Both versions have the same functionality but the Modern (v2) layout is responsive, mobile friendly, and has an improved user experience. The layout version for each public signup page can be selected when creating or editing the page, or if you are creating new pages via the API, you can update the default layout version in your site settings: Settings > Public Page Default Settings > Default Public Signup Page Version.
Provide your potential Customers with a link to the Public Signup Page for the Product you would like to offer them. Note that you have the option to pass in some data to pre-populate the form or variables that are sent to Chargify – see Pre-populating Data
- The customer fills out their credit card details and other requested or required information (the information collected by the Public Signup Page is controlled by the Public Page Default Settings) and presses the submit button.
- a. If the customer enters information incorrectly or their credit card is declined, they are notified within the Public Signup Page and given a chance to make corrections
- b. If the customer enters information correctly and their credit card is accepted (or is not required) then they are redirected either to: i. a Subscription Receipt Page ii. the page identified by the Return URL you provided in the Public Signup Page Settings
- If you use a Return URL and Return URL parameters, you can capture information about the signup within your Return URL page to change your own application state (however you’ll probably want to verify this information via our API to avoid susceptibility to URL-hacking). The Return URL and Return URL parameters are how you can be synchronously notified of a signup. This is the best way to learn about a new subscription via the Public Signup Page in real time.
- You can also observe Webhooks to change your application state based on the signup. Webhooks are asynchronous events, so you probably do not want to block your user from completing a signup on your end until you receive the Webhook. See Webhooks are Asynchronous.