GoCardless is payment platform that allows Chargify merchants to easily collect Direct Debit payments. Your subscriber may easily add existing banking information to seamlessly pay for products and services.
In order to use GoCardless, a merchant must be located within one of the following countries:
|French Guiana||Malta||Saint Barthélemy|
|French Guiana||Martinique||Saint Martin|
|French Guiana||Mayotte||Saint Pierre & Miquelon|
When using GoCardless, a complete billing address must be supplied with each payment method for a subscription. A complete payment method must include the following items:
- Street address
- Street address line 2 (optional)
- 2 digit country code
- Postal / zip code
GoCardless is supported for the following currencies:
- GoCardless may not be used on a Chargify site that also accepts credit cards.
- GoCardless Direct Debit will be the payment method for all subscribers on the site it is implemented on in Chargify.
- We allow merchants using Relationship Invoicing to use GoCardless
- GoCardless may not be used with Chargify sites that use the legacy invoices / statements functionality.
- In order to process refunds, GoCardless must approve your merchant account beforehand.
To begin using GoCardless in your Chargify site, select “Connect with GoCardless” in your settings for your site. Setting up the connection between Chargify and GoCardless is easy and secure thanks to GoCardless’s OAuth feature. All that’s required is that you enter your email address and password and we’ll handle the rest.
From here, you’ll be securely redirected to the GoCardless where there are two options:
- If you already have a GoCardless account, select “Sign In” at the bottom of the page to continue.
- If you do not have a GoCardless account, complete the form to create an account.
Now that your Chargify site is connected to GoCardless, it’s time to start accepting subscriptions that contain Direct Debit information as a payment method. We’re going to review two ways to create subscriptions with bank account information as payment via GoCardless. Both workflows will follow the same path:
- Create a subscription to a product in Chargify
- Provide contact information, including full billing address
- Include IBAN / banking information as the payment method
- Confirm the mandate for the current subscription
- View on-screen receipt for subscription or be redirected to a thank you page
In order to understand how GoCardless works with Chargify, it’s important as the merchant that you’re aware how mandates work. A mandate is required in order for a payment method to be deemed valid by the rules that govern Direct Debit.
Once a subscriber has successfully entered their banking information, GoCardless will issue a mandate to authorize funds transfer. This applies to banking information that is entered via a Public Signup Page or Self-Service Page.
To be transparent, a mandate is an authorization from your subscriber that grants permission to process current and future payments. For more information on mandates, please see the mandate guide from GoCardless.
Using GoCardless to accept paymens via Public Signup Pages is extremely straightforward. Your subscriber will provide the following steps when they purchase a product:
- Customer-based information
- Complete bank information, include IBAN
- Complete billing address
Once a subscriber selects Place my order, they will be asked to confirm the Direct Debit mandate. The subscriber must agree to the mandate in order to complete the purchase.
From here, all recurring payments will be processed via the payment method provided at signup. Subscribers will have the option to update their card via Self-Signup Pages, which we’ll discuss below.
Occasionally your subscriber will need to update their payment method. They can do this easily using a Self-Service Page. If you’re unfamiliar with how Self-Service pages work, we recommend reviewing an overview on how these pages function.
When an existing subscriber visits a Self-Service Page, they will be provided the option to enter a new bank account.
Once they enter valid information, they will confirm the mandate for the new payment method associated with the subscription.
In the event that a payment for a subscriber fails, Chargify will automatically attempt to collect past due funds. At this point in the subscription’s timeline, we refer to this subscription as entering the dunning process. If you’re unfamiliar with how dunning works in Chargify, we recommend the following two resources:
Refunds are not available for all GoCardless accounts at this time. This limitation hails from restrictions that are placed at the GoCardless level; Chargify does not have control over which merchant accounts may process refunds.
If your GoCardless account can process refunds, payments that have been in the confirmed state for at least 2 days (48 hours) before a refund can be initiated.
To learn more about how to process refunds for your subscriptions in your Chargify site, please see the instructions under subscription summary actions.
During testing, please refer to the GoCardless developer guide for test bank account numbers.
When entering a billing address, the billing country must match the country code for the IBAN number.
- For example if you provide a French IBAN number,
FR1420041010050500013M02606, the country code for the billing address must be France.
- Mixing of country codes for IBAN numbers and billing addresses is not supported.
- For example if you provide a French IBAN number,