This page describes a feature that is part of Relationship Invoicing, which is a new method of bill presentment for you and your subscribers. The information on this page is only applicable to newly created sites that opt-in as described in Creating a Site with Relationship Invoicing.
You can read more about the beta status and future plans, including how to be notified when these features are availble for existing sites.
These new Invoices will replace Statements and Transactions as the main document to view/understand recurring billing charges. Statements and transactions will remain available in the API to continue to support existing integrations. However, invoices are replacing statements as a method of presenting recurring charges to your subscriber in emails, downloadable documents, and the Chargify app itself.
- Instead of viewing statements and transactions to review billing history, you view invoices.
- You control the full contents of the email sent to the customer when an invoice is generated (and, whether or not it is sent).
- Instead of one-time charges, you create an invoice to represent your charges, which may have multiple lines.
- Instead of applying arbitrary “adjustments” to a subscription’s balance, you edit invoice line items, void invoices, or add new invoices.
- Instead of applying a payment to a subscription, you apply a payment to one or many invoices.
- A new invoice API is available.
- The invoice email now contains whatever content the merchant defines.
- The invoice may optionally be viewed online on the
- The invoice may optionally be paid online.
- Invoices are more clear than statements and are more pleasing to view.
- Discounts, and where they applied, are more clear.
- Taxes, and where they applied, are more clear.
- No changes to your catalog configuration (products, components, coupons, or taxes).
- No changes to the Chargify billing engine.
- Even though the screens for Statements and Transactions have been removed in favor of the invoices view, the APIs for statements and transactions remain unchanged to support your existing API integration.
- Subscription management (upgrades/downgrades/cancellation/dunning) remain the same.